Saturday, March 21, 2015

Winterborne by Augusta Blythe Review

Title: Winterborne
Series: Universe Unbound (Book #1)
Author: Augusta Blythe
Publisher: Augusta Blythe
Publication date:  April 24, 2011
Genre: Fantasy (YA)

My rating: ✰✰✰ 

*I requested this book on netgalley and have been sent an e-book copy of it in exchange of an honest review*

Summary: Mia Winterborne knows she is destined to be special. Her upcoming seventeenth birthday promises more than just a driver’s license. Details are sketchy, though, as her dad disappeared with all the answers when she was five. By Mia’s side is Loie Bryce, her best friend and eternal sidekick extraordinaire. The girls’ intense friendship has never wavered until now, when Andreas arrives in Salcey Ridge. They both fall hard for the hot Brit, who quickly becomes a fixture in their lives. When they discover that Andreas is not who he appears to be, the frightening reality of Mia’s abilities finally hits home. The nearer Mia’s birthday draws, the more the danger escalates and long-buried lies are exposed, putting the girls on a path that they never expected.

My thoughts:


Strengths : Something that I really liked about this book was that it was different from a lot of the YA fantasy books/series. It wasn't about your typical teenage girl falling in love with a vampire or a werewolf. The fantastic creatures included in this novel were creature that I hadn't really read about before. It did include humans with powers (evolved humans), which is not unusual in YA fantasy, but it also included pixies and leprechauns, which I thought was very interesting. Something else that I appreciated was that even though there was obviously a romance, the story revolved a lot more around the friendship between Mia and Loie. I also quite liked the writing style of the author. It wasn't exceptional, but it was good. The overall plot was very enjoyable.

Weaknesses : Even though the plot was very interesting, it was also very predictable. I often knew what was going to happen, so the anticipation that keeps you on edge wasn't really there. The most important thing for me in books is the characters. You can have a boring plot, but if your characters are amazing, I'll keep on reading. The problem in this book was the opposite. The plot was good, but I didn't really like the characters. I didn't hate them, but I also didn't care about them. The only character that I really liked was Georgia (the mom) and we didn't see her that much. 

Overall: I gave three out of five stars to Winterborne, which means that it was good, but not great. I enjoyed this book, it was a very quick read and I do recommend that you give it a try. I may pick up the sequel in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment