Sunday, March 29, 2015

Southern perfection by Casey Peeler Review

Title: Southern perfection
Author: Casey Peeler
Publisher: The Hype PR
Publication date:  January 13, 2015
Genre: Contemporary (YA)

My rating: ✰ 

*I requested this book on netgalley and have been sent an e-book copy of it in exchange of an honest review*

**Before you read this review, I want to point out that I really didn't enjoy this book. If you think you may be offended by this, I suggest that you don't read it.

***I didn't finish this book. Keep in mind that this review will be based on the 35% that I read.

Summary: Life is full of choices: good, bad, and ones you can’t control. 

Raegan strives to be perfect in every way. Varsity cheerleader, honor student, and proud granddaughter of Dover Lowery. By day, Raegan is an over-achieving high school student, but at three o’clock, her real work begins. 

What happens when appearances are not what they seem? Will Raegan be able to hold on to her life as she knows it, or will she be left all alone? All of these questions are answered with one night, one song, one story, and one boy.

My thoughts:

It is extremely rare for me to quit reading a book, even if I don't like it. It is also extremely rare that I give 1 star out of five to a book. Unfortunately, it is what happened with southern perfection. No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't find anything in this book that was worth reading it. I read 35% of it and I just had to quit because I hated it. 

Firstly, I feel like the characters didn't even have personalities. They were boring to read about and I didn't care about what would happen to them at all. 

Secondly, this is a case of insta-love, which is not my favorite thing to read about, but I usually don't mind if the love story is well written. In this case, the love just kind of comes out of nowhere. They see each other and then almost 3 seconds later they're kissing and are deeply in love with each other. If this book was too cheesy for me, then it says a lot because I'm usually all about the cheesy scenes. 

Thirdly, you have the writing which just didn't do it for me. I understand that they're southern, but the "ya" and "outta" and "gotcha" just annoyed me so freaking much. I cringed A LOT while I was reading!

Fourthly, southern perfection was written in a duo point of view, but I feel like it didn't work. The book could have been a little better if the book was focused on Reagan's point of view if you ask me.

And lastly, I feel like this book needed to be worked on a little more. I was reading it and I kept thinking that the book didn't seem to be finished. Everything happens way too fast and nothing is really developed.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this book at all and would personally not recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment